This page provides information about the use of personal information of current University of Connecticut students while participating in an UConn Education Abroad program in countries other than the United States.
What is ‘personal information’?
‘Personal information’ means any information which relates to or identifies you as an individual.
Who will process my personal information?
This Privacy Notice applies to the personal information shared by you and/or the educational institution abroad at which you have selected to study with the University of Connecticut. Your information will be processed by assigned staff of the University of Connecticut, the educational institution abroad, and/or any vendors (our processors) providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the these educational institutions. Vendors are contractually obligated to keep your personal data confidential subject to appropriate safeguards to prevent it from unauthorized disclosure.
What personal information will be processed?
The University of Connecticut maintains records about your studies at the educational institution abroad at which you have selected to study. This personal information will include data such as your name, home address, local address, date of birth, telephone number, email address, courses studied, fee payments, emergency contact information, passport and other information necessary to secure your visa status, information about your examinations, assessments and results, emergency information if applicable, student disciplinary information if applicable, and any information you voluntarily disclose to us as part of your education abroad experience.
Your personal information is created, stored and transmitted securely in a variety of paper and electronic formats, including databases that are shared between the institution abroad at which you have selected to study. Access to your personal information is limited to appropriate University of Connecticut faculty, staff and vendors who may process your information on the University’s behalf, who have a legitimate educational interest in accessing and otherwise processing your education records per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and applicable University policy.
In addition to the categories of personal information listed above, the University may process some information about you that you have voluntarily provided to us that may be considered under various legal provisions as ‘sensitive’ or ‘special category’ personal data, and which requires additional protections. Such sensitive or special category data may include information about your ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, health information and/or disability information utilized for assisting with accommodations or to provide care or other assistance. Access to and any sharing of such information considered to be sensitive or special category data may be subject to additional limitations on access and use by the University of Connecticut in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
What is the purpose and legal basis of the processing?
The University of Connecticut will process your personal information for a range of contractual, statutory or public interest purposes related to your Education Abroad, including the following:
- To deliver and administer your education, and record the details of your studies and achievements to award academic credit.
- To monitor, evaluate, and support your education and research activity (where applicable).
- To verify employment eligibility or authorization (when applicable).
- To administer the financial aid, support and administration related to your program abroad.
- To deliver technical, advisory and administrative support services to you while abroad (e.g., information technology, academic advising, housing and accommodations, career planning and support).
- To enable your participation at events and programming while abroad.
- To communicate effectively with you via all necessary and appropriate means of communication (e.g., email, phone, text, fax, postal mail).
- To operate physical and technical security for you while abroad.
- For disciplinary matters (when applicable).
- To support your training, health, safety, welfare and religious requirements (as applicable) while abroad.
- To compile data necessary for statutory reporting purposes.
- To compile data as necessary or appropriate for studies conducted by or on behalf of the University of Connecticut in accordance with the studies exception under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- To meet legal requirements regarding immigration, public safety and other regulatory obligations (including but not limited to Title IX and the Clery Act).
- To enable us to contact others in the event of an emergency. (The University of Connecticut will act under the appropriate assumption that you have notified the individuals you list as your contact for emergency purposes before you supply their contact details to us.)
The University of Connecticut considers the processing of your personal information for the purposes listed above to be either necessary for the performance of our contractual obligations with you (e.g. to manage your student experience and welfare while participating in an Education Abroad program), or necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. public safety reporting requirements), or necessary for the performance of tasks we carry out in the public interest (e.g. teaching and research), or necessary for the pursuit of the legitimate interests of the University or an external organization (e.g. allowing for global exchange and international study and research to occur in accordance with the University’s global partnerships). Should we require your consent for any specific use of your personal information under applicable legal standards, we will collect it at the appropriate time and you can withdraw this at any time.
Who will my personal information be shared with?
As described above, your personal information may be shared with University of Connecticut school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in accessing or using the personal information and education records created as part of your Education Abroad program, along with your educational institution abroad. In addition, such information may be shared as permitted or required by law with individuals or entities:
- Vendors considered to be “University Officials” under the University of Connecticut’s FERPA policy (available at http://ferpa.uconn.edu).
- As permitted without the prior written consent of University of Connecticut students as permitted by FERPA regulations (34 C.F.R. Part 99), and the University’s FERPA policy (available at http://ferpa.uconn.edu).
- When applicable, to immigration authorities in order to administer relevant legal and regulatory obligations connected to your presence abroad.
- To law enforcement agencies to protect public safety and/or where required by law.
- To external auditing and regulatory entities where necessary and/or required by law.
Please note, the above types of sharing will in most instances involve the transfer of your personal information outside of the foreign location by way of the University of Connecticut to the above noted individuals or entities. Such transfers usually are necessary in order to meet our contractual obligations with you and/or to meet legal requirements, and are carried out with appropriate safeguards in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal information both in transit and at rest.
Other than as set out above and in accordance with requirements placed upon the University under FERPA, we will not publish or disclose any personal information about you to other external individuals or entities unless you have requested it or consented to it. In order to request that your information or records be shared or disclosed affirmative with other individuals or entities, please visit the University’s Share My Information page at https://ferpa.uconn.edu/share-my-information/.
How can I access my personal information?
You have the right to access the personal information that is maintained about you by the University of Connecticut. You also have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we maintain about you, to delete personal information subject to applicable record retention requirements, or in some instances to otherwise restrict our processing, or to object to processing or to receive an electronic copy of the personal information you provided to us. Please contact the University’s Office of Privacy Protection & Management at email@example.com for more information or to exercise these rights.
How long is my information kept?
We store your personal information in accordance with applicable records retention requirements established by the State of Connecticut and/or other Federal or State legal requirements. For additional information regarding record retention requirements at the University of Connecticut, please visit http://rim.uconn.edu.
Your personal data will be processed and handled by the University of Connecticut in accordance with its policies and application laws, and with the principles of fairness, lawfulness, transparency, purpose limitation, accuracy, storage limitation, integrity and confidentiality and accountability, as well as the utmost protection of your privacy. Sensitive personal data will only be processed for purposes of protecting your safety, providing appropriate support services for you, or fulfilling obligations established by law.
Who can I contact with questions or concerns?
If you have any questions about how your personal information is used, or wish to exercise any of your rights regarding how your information is used, please contact the University’s Office of Privacy Protection & Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are located in the European Union and feel the University has violated laws related to the European Union General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679, you also have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate EU supervisory authority. Such country-specific rules and regulations may also apply to other countries and specific locations.
How will I know if changes are made regarding how my information is used?
Should our practices regarding the processing of personal information change, we will update our Privacy Notices accordingly to reflect such changes. We may update or change this Privacy Notice at any time. Please visit http://privacy.uconn.edu to link to the University’s Privacy Notices.
Last Updated: May 24, 2018